Who doesn't love Mac & Cheese? And while I am normally a Kraft Shaped Mac & Cheese fan, every once in a while, if you make it from scratch, it makes you feel a little more like a grown up ... might be due to the lack of Frozen & Star Wars characters (this is a no judgement zone).
Check out this delicious homemade Mac and Cheese recipe:
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup flour
2 1/2 cups of whole milk
1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
6 ounces of cheese product, cubed (we used Velveeta)
1 1/4 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (split 1 cup and 1/4 cup)
1 pound elbow macaroni noodles, cooked according to the package
1. In a 12-inch cast-iron skillet, melt butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour; cook and stir constantly, until bubbly, for 3 minutes. Gradually add in milk until smooth.
2. Add in dry mustard, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Cook and stir frequently until thickened after about 5 minutes.
3. Stir in cheese product (Velveeta) and 1 cup of Cheddar cheese until melted.
4. Remove from heat and add in the cooked macaroni noodles. Stir until combine and top with the remaining 1/4 cup of cheddar cheese.
5. Preheat oven to Broil. Broil until golden brown and bubbly - about 5 minutes.
Ashley Tip: I added crushed red pepper flakes to mine to add a little kick! Super yummy!